Saturday, May 8, 2010

Why Don't You Get A Job?

Last week I finally started a new job. It is working for a lawyer based in Little Lonsdale Street right in the city. The job is a receptionist position mixed with clerical adminstrative duties for a lawyer that mostly helps Chinese immigrants with legal issues they may have with Australian laws. I mostly answer calls and put them through to the other lawyers, stamp and collate documents for notaries and apostilles, go to the bank and post box and do lots and lots of scanning and printing.

The job is actually rather easy to do because there isn't much involved. Some days are busy and some days are not and I am only working part time in the afternoons. My hours are from 2-6pm but I don't necessarily work those exact hours. My finishing time always varies depending on who is working at the time. The general finish time tends to be 5.45pm but sometimes I'll finish a little after 6pm and other times I'll finish around 5.30pm.

I have to admit though that it is good to be working again after just over a year of not having a job even if the hours are only part time. I just wish the hours were longer because the money still isn't really enough to live off but at least it's better than Centrelink money. I am still trying to find other part-time work to do either on the weekends or on weekday mornings as long as on the weekday mornings its a job based in the city. For the city work I am trying to find work that will have me working between the hours of 8-1pm.

The other good things about this job is that it's going to build my reception experience up again which is good because its the industry I want to work in and because its working with a lawyer hopefully for future job prospects working with a lawyer will make my resume really stand out to prospective employers.


No comments: